I’m not sure when writing addiction kicks in because it sneaks up on a writer – I have no idea when or even how, I just know that it’s there and I recognize some of the signs.
- I know that when I go to sleep, I linger with my characters and plots.
- I wake up and find my thoughts immediately turn to the story I am working on.
- During the day, I’ll lose my place with what I am doing because my thoughts have drifted to my characters and action.
- I think more clearly with a pen in my hand.
- I get excited by blank paper, particularly thick pads of it.
- I know that a “good” day is a day I get some writing done and a “bad” day is when I do not – no matter the other circumstances or achievements.
I’m addicted! That’s it. No cure and no want of any. If you’re a writer, I’ll bet you anything that you’re addicted, too.
Is there any more you can add to that list? What signs do you see of your addiction?